LocAle Accredited Pubs
CAMRA LocAle is about supporting pubs that sell locally-brewed real ales as well as supporting local breweries, and reducing the number of "beer miles". The scheme builds on a growing consumer demand for quality local products.
Local breweries are often run by local people who (of course) drink in the local pubs themselves and consequently have a much closer understanding of their market. In recent years the number of microbreweries in Cheshire has snowballed to more than 25.
The benefits of a successful CAMRA LocAle scheme are listed below.
- Improved consumer choice due to more locally brewed real ales being available in pubs
- Local brewers selling more real ale allowing them to expand, benefiting the local economy and real ale choice
- Fewer "beer miles" resulting in less road congestion and pollution
- An increase in tourism as successful local brewers give the area greater distinctiveness and therefore tourist appeal
- Thriving pubs due to the wider availability of local real ales in pubs boosting the number of pub visits
- An increase in local identity and pride
In short, CAMRA LocAle is about consumer choice, local jobs, supporting a sustainable environment, creating local distinctiveness and promoting local pubs.
North Cheshire's criteria for LocAle are that the pub has to serve at least one local beer (from within 30 miles by road, defined as the shortest driving distance between pub and brewery) all the time although the beer may change, save for rare occasions when no beer is available. The beers served also need to be of a consistent quality that CAMRA would support. So real ales from regional, national and microbreweries could all qualify if they meet the criteria.
You may not agree with this definition but for this purpose we needed something clear and precise.
Each pub is reviewed annually to ensure it is still meeting the criteria (including ongoing beer quality), in which case accreditation will be extended for a further 12 months.
You can recognize a LocAle pub by the publicity material normally on display often including LocAle labels on the handpumps. Click on the name of the pub below for contact and location information. The current (2016) North Cheshire LocAle-accredited pubs are:-
- Agden Wharf
- Barn Owl Warrington Lane Agden Wharf WA13 0SW
- Three Greyhounds Inn Holmes Chapel Road Allostock WA16 9JY
- Bostock Green
- Hayhurst Arms London Road Bostock Green CW10 9JP
- Hoop & Mallet Callands Road Callands WA5 9RJ
- Davenham Cricket Club Butchers' Stile, Hartford Road Davenham CW9 8JG
- Chime 279 Chester Road Hartford CW8 1QL
- Houghton Green
- Millhouse Ballater Drive Houghton Green WA2 0LX
- Little Budworth
- Egerton Arms Pinfold Lane Little Budworth CW6 9BS
- Lower Stretton
- Ring o' Bells Northwich Road Lower Stretton WA4 4NZ
- Salt Barge Ollershaw Lane Marston CW9 6ES
- Lion Hotel 74 Main Road Moulton CW9 8PB
- Penny Black 110 Witton Street Northwich CW9 5AB
- Stockton Heath
- Costello's Bar 23 Walton Road Stockton Heath WA4 6NJ
- Little Manor Bell Lane Thelwall WA4 2SX